An Outside Perspective To My Inside Life

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

As Paula Abdul Said, "Rush, Rush" ....

Instant gratification is an interesting thing. The 'Power of Now' becomes so overwhelming that people are willing to compromise quality and longevity just so that they can have what they want the moment they want it.

Every time you purchase anything, and this is probably true for relationships as well, you engage in the "Price - SPeed - Quality" trifecta, and the most you can ever end up with is two out of the three.

I'm specifically talking about my band and recording our EP. The boys so desparately want to have something recorded that they are willing to sacrifice the quality of the project for the speed, and there is a huge conflict over home recording versus studio recording that brings price into play.

To me, the quality of the project is most important, which means that home recording is out, and obviously the speed of completion is slowed.

One out of three, no matter how you look at it. Why does it seem that I am the only one with the right priorities?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one to take notice. Just look at Los Angeles. Why do you think I've been a hermit since I've moved here? One reason is that my "metamorphosis" isn't complete yet. Second, I don't want to become a yuppie or fall for the blind.

I'm in a similar bind. And I have that in my nature the "I want it now." jib. I seriously want to start investing, but I need to make an educated purchase and just buy stock in any old company.

CTolson said...

I ran into the same thing in my band. Some wanted the recording done ASAP so they could sell them at shows. I wanted a quality recording. All you can do is record ONE song and see how it sounds before you commit. If the 'home studio' stands by their work, they will allow it.