An Outside Perspective To My Inside Life

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Light-Bulb Moments



I'm not sure what takes place in our brains to create a light-bulb moment, but I sure as hell wish that I knew.

In every relationship I have ever had (friend or romantically), it gets to a certain point where things are going so terribly wrong and you can see a messy path ahead but you are naively optimistic or fearfully resisting the change or pain that comes as a result of splitting.

You continue down this path making little interjections here or there to stave off the inevitable. You throw it out there every now and again to test the waters and to get reassurance that ‘everything is going to work out fine.’

Then one day, as if for no reason whatsoever, you have your light bulb moment and the optimism, fear and pain that had consumed you for the past however long dissipates and you are left with the stark realization that it's done.

You are no longer bound by the apprehensions you once had and somehow you have this new autopilot feature that takes control of the details. You don’t even think; you glide. Somehow you can no longer relate with those feelings you once had.


Maybe I’m nuts and nobody else experiences this. Lucky you.

2 comments:

CTolson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CTolson said...

I like the autopiilot feature we have. It helps you do things you wouldn't normally do...

I think we're all a little nuts.