An Outside Perspective To My Inside Life

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Déclaration de Mission

We recently went through and devised a business plan here at the office. Surprisingly, developing our mission statement was the most challenging piece. All of the other information was factual. Hard evidence supporting our profits, yearly projections and market demographics is my forte, but truly defining our purpose and core values proved to be a task of miserable proportions.

Despite my dismay for this daunting task, I realize that running a business or a life without set of values and principals is like travelling to a foreign country with no maps, guide books, language dictionary or idea what you are going to do.

Now, that may seem fun and spontaneous at first. I give you that. But once the initial excitement of ‘living on the edge’ dissolves, you are left scared, hungry and alone.

The purpose of the mission statement is to define your intentions and the way you plan on going about achieving your goals. You use it to benchmark your progress and reconnect with your ideals when you get off track.

We had been operating the business for almost two years with no mission statement. I don’t know how we survived this long. Sheer luck?

Now for the interesting revelation… I have been living without a personal mission statement for 25 years. 25 years of aimless wandering without any real goal and no place to tie myself back to. It’s so shocking to me that I am as successful as I am. I feel like I should be a crack whore living on the streets looking for my next hit.

The good news is, at least now I know and can do something about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's an excellent observation. You would be amazed at what a little sit down time with yourself and writing out your goals does.

Another advice I would share is, if you want to make a goal more personal make a bet with your friends. You will be more obligated to your word, (that is if you're true to your word in the first place ;) ) as you don't want to come across looking like a schlep.